X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

MacDo
Experienced
Topic Author

user comments on images

10 Aug 2008, 04:30

Hello,

I think it would be a great feature to allow visitors to write some comments about the image they view, just like in a blog, for example. A captcha system to avoid spammers... and maybe a notification such that the admin of the gallery receive an email each time a comment is posted.

Of course, the admin should be able to disable the comment system, to disable the captcha if he did not want to use it, and disable the notifications...

I would love it... What do you think about it ?

MacDo

nz-photo
Experienced

10 Aug 2008, 04:34

Yeah I would love to see that, but anyway I already ask for the comment thing but it didn't seem to get the favors of the staff :wink:

Have a look to the thread
Empty your mind, be formless, be shapeless, like water...
www.nz-photo.com

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

10 Aug 2008, 08:48

Please don't expect replies on feature suggestsions, but we reading them thought. Also if you think that your idea is good, add feature request to corresponding forum.
The point is to collect requests, then after release we will sit down, read posts once again and think about what feature to add next. So if we keep all suggestions in single place, that would be easier to analyze em later.
firedev.com

nz-photo
Experienced

10 Aug 2008, 18:38

Sure Nick.
Maybe someone could move the topic to its related section no?
Have a nice eve and thanks for all that work !
www.nz-photo.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

11 Aug 2008, 01:22

I think we do want to add something like that in the future. Let me just remind that your 'other' post was from the Imagevue(V1) suggestions list, and therefore was less 'popular' in my own rating.

Like pain says, we will focus on more important things first. Another thing to keep in mind is that, although we would like to include every suggestion that comes up, all features always take much longer time than anticipated.

I am initially skeptical to certain suggestions, like this one. Imagevue is good for some things, but for other things(like image comments), it is generally inferior to more intuitive user/community galleries like flickr or even coppermine. It is important for us to focus on what makes Imagevue attractive.

Also, I would like to add that modules like this may require database. Although it can be done with the Imagevue XML method, this is not optimal for mass-data.

If Apple starting manufacturing washing machines, I think they would fail(although the washing machines would be incredibly smooth with touch-screen interaction with all clothing).

Elatus

11 Aug 2008, 13:06

I don't want to offend anyone, but its a crappy idea.
I would have like 500 pictures in the gallery. Don't see the point that you can comment every picture. And then like 90% of the pictures are uncommented, pointless.

There would be a point to make a guestbook for the site, that would be accessed in the main menu. That would be... hmm... more practical.

Rikkez

12 Aug 2008, 08:48

Elatus wrote:I don't want to offend anyone, but its a crappy idea.
I would have like 500 pictures in the gallery. Don't see the point that you can comment every picture. And then like 90% of the pictures are uncommented, pointless.

There would be a point to make a guestbook for the site, that would be accessed in the main menu. That would be... hmm... more practical.
or be able to comment on gallery level...

Nick
Imagevue Hitman

13 Aug 2008, 09:14

If you have 500 pictures in each dir I can almost guarantee they all are not worth commenting, so you not loosing anything.

If you have for example 20 folders 25 pics each, then probably its some pre-selected photos and they worth it.
firedev.com

Elatus

14 Aug 2008, 04:23

pain wrote:If you have 500 pictures in each dir
Elatus wrote:I would have like 500 pictures in the gallery.
Am I retarded or something ? Or you need glasses ?

Lets say 10 folders and 50 pictures each. Thats alot of pictures...
Take everything

Christopher
Experienced

14 Aug 2008, 05:07

2 cents:

I'm sure there are a lot of imagevuex users, and as such a lot of them
use imagevuex in a variety of ways. If enough people put in a request
then if may be worth looking at.

Sure 500 photographs is a lot to comment on, but I'd be willing to bet
there are a few members who would like to see this, for whatever reason.

Me? Nah, I get my comments via email, phone, or in person. I wouldn't
use it.

Perhaps a poll?

nz-photo
Experienced

14 Aug 2008, 12:44

nz-photo wrote:I already ask for the comment thing but it didn't seem to get the favors of the staff :wink:

Have a look to the thread
That was a poll I launched before the beta was out...
www.nz-photo.com

Christopher
Experienced

14 Aug 2008, 13:00

ah yes... I should've done my homework :-)

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

15 Aug 2008, 04:41

Just let me make one thing clear: Guestbook(gallery user comments) and image comments is two different worlds in terms of integration.

I certainly think it will not take long before we have an optional guestbook running, that can be implemented in textpages for example. User comments on images may be another story...

nz-photo
Experienced

15 Aug 2008, 05:29

Guestbook is definetly fine .
I had one running with the former imagevue version (thanks to the site menu links possivbilities) and it was ok for people to leave a word.

So I could really live with a Guestbook and a Page Counter to know on which photos the people spent the more time...

:D
www.nz-photo.com

Rikkez

08 Sep 2008, 17:00

Still missing this feature :cry:
Hope to see in the updatelog next time :)