Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

rdch
Topic Author

Margins

15 Jun 2009, 08:41

HI,

Is it possible to set different margins each of the four sides around an image?

At the moment I have set the margin to 115px so that the bottom navigation does not cover the image, but the margin space at the top is not needed and makes my images too small...

eg
http://www.robhilken.com/#/content/0002 ... anse3.jpg/

I need to get the site to look good in all resolutions and now that netbooks only have a 1024x600 screen size, using all the available height is very important.

I have also disabled auto-hide on the menu but it sometimes covers the images now so I'd like to set the left margin to 200 so that the menu doesn't cover the images. Obviously the right margin will still need to be 0.

eg- http://www.robhilken.com/#/content/0002 ... _rdch.jpg/

Thanks for any help!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Jun 2009, 06:05

You have probably already seen the image.margin settings in the settings tab in the admin? Unfortunately, the margins setting does not control the space from all sides, it only sets the MINIMUM margin from each side - The image alkways centers to the middle of the screen. The margin settings only provide a minimal margin, so that the image starts scaling down if the margin is not met.

For example, if you set margin 200 on the left side, it will always have 200 px OR MORE available on the left side of the image. This is maintained by scaling down the image if necessary. If you set margin 0 on the left side, the image MAY border all the way to the left side of the stage, but most likely it will be at max size BEFORE it aligns to the left ... Also, the other margin limits will most likely have their effect first.

The conclusion is, that unfortunately you can ´t locate the image around on the stage, as it centers to the middle of the screen by default. We can ´t build a system that positions the image on coordinates(which would be from top left 0,0) - How would you be able to adapt that to all screen sizes?

The only thing we may be able to provide as a feature for a future release, is an OFFSET setting.

rdch
Topic Author

18 Jun 2009, 06:46

For example, if you set margin 200 on the left side
I can't see how to change the minimum margin size for each different edge? I can only see one control that sets the minimum margin for all sides.

Thanks for looking into making this more flexible.

The other thing that would be great is a tool to move the image around the screen while it is zoomed in. At the moment I seem to only be able to zoom in on the middle of the image.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Jun 2009, 05:37

oh sorry, the image margin setting is global for all sides. Still dont think it would work as you want it to though. Image will ALWAYS be centered anyway ... It will just resize related to the first margin that kicks in, so if you set 300à¥x margin at bottom, it would also have 300px at top.

Also, we intend to make a feature for panning in zoomed in mode...

rdch
Topic Author

19 Jun 2009, 07:11

Would it be possible to allow people to set the position/size of the stage with co-ordinates, rather than the image itself?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Jun 2009, 12:33

rdch wrote:Would it be possible to allow people to set the position/size of the stage with co-ordinates, rather than the image itself?
Size of stage you can already set by changing the size of the embedded SWF, which is by default et to 100%.

Do you mean position/size of the image perhaps? And what would that position be - image position from top left corner of image? Sorry, but I dont see how you imagine that to work ... If you set an image to start at for example 200px down and 200px left, it may be too big for small screen resolutions, while it will be located too far up/left on large screen resolutions.... and not sure how image resizing would be.

enhance

07 Aug 2009, 15:13

A nice option might be one that allows you to exclude the thumbnail scroller area from the margin calculations.

In other words, an option to measure margins from the top of the thumbnails instead of the bottom of the stage. That way you could tighten up the space used without having overlap from the thumbnails. This would likely accomplish what a lot of people are wanting to do with the top margin.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

18 Aug 2009, 12:33

Still don ´t see how you would have this done ...

Why "exclude" the thumbnail scroller? Some people have it disabled anyway, and there are many other elements which may also want to be excluded, like titles and maincontrols.

Also, margins are not measures from bottom - thumbnails are always aligned to the center, but margins on ALL sides decide ultimately how far the thumbnails stretch outwards from the middle of the page. Not sure how you could achieve a flexible layout by having them aligned from top.

Perhaps I just misunderstood - I guess there are many "solutions" to this issue, but not all as flexible.