Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

gadgetologist
Experienced
Topic Author

Help! G is Going Gaga!

12 Dec 2009, 13:56

This is really a plea or a request to the developers....

I've been a fan of the product for a while. I bought another commercial license recently and will buy another shortly. So, I care.

Unfortunately, this turned out to be longer than expected, but please do read this in its entirety.

I propose you put aside an area somewhere on the website/forum for documentation/wiki or whatever you want to define or structure it, then allow and empower some additional "volunteers" to assist in harvesting the information. I am intentionally saying define it however it works for you to get it done as fast as possible.

It's (insert your favorite expletive here) driving me absolutely crazy when I have to spend a gazillion times more time than necessary searching for an answer that should be at my fingertips if reasonable (not extraordinary) documentation were available. This search the forum and pray thing gets old fast no matter how much I love you guys.

I am just beside myself right now after responding to an apparently long time customer that had a simple problem, the problem should have been easily noted as "filename rules" or something like that in the doc area. Now, I know you guys can't be everywhere at once and blah blah blah.... I'm sensative to that whole thing.

BUT (now take a deep breath) the better the documentation the less support burden. And this proposal is to reduce the burden of support and reduce the burden of getting the documentation as well.

Just let some volunteers help pull it together. At a minimum, it can be a better organized structure that just takes better advantage of information as it comes available. For example, after the status quo gets organized a new question gets answered, then that gets pulled into the documentation collective by the one of the volunteers or whatever.

Perhaps this email might end up being just therapeutic, so no harm would succumb my computer, but I hope not.

Seriously, I would like a response from the developers.
I would also like to get thoughts from others if you care to share them.
I hope my sense of humor is taken as just that, humor. I really support this product and this team else I wouldn't be here.

--G :(

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

14 Dec 2009, 05:55

Yes, of course you are right ... and the first step in the rigt direction is a new website we are launching very soon. From there, we will want to follow up with extended documentation ...

Having said that, I dont think we can cover everything in Documentation pages, without cluttering the structure too much. For example "What filenames are supported" is just another one-in-a-million server-related issues. But of course, we can try to add new articles as they pop in ...

gadgetologist
Experienced
Topic Author

14 Dec 2009, 12:06

Karl,

My proposal was to have your team include a subset of users to help in the documentation. If it is set up properly, once a question has been answered once, it can be "harvested" and put into the documentation area. Documentation avoids clutter and chaos. The constant rehashing of questions and endless searches is chaotic, frustrating and can be greatly reduced with a little planning and a little help from your friends (strictly volunteer).

Does this sound reasonable?

--G

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

22 Dec 2009, 08:11

yes it does ...

I guess this will still be after the new website though, and lets see what kinda extended community-features we can aquire. Thanks for the tips!