Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

mc
Topic Author

Image resize

13 May 2010, 22:46

Is there a way to resize the images to a certain size while they are uploaded to imageveux.

1. I am not talking about auto resizing that is done in flash.

2. I am talking about in order to save harddrive space imageveux will automatically resize the image to a set size that I might set while configuring the software . so a 3MB image will become a 200K file during the upload. (because lot of images these days are huge in size and then on slower connections the image will load really really slow)
I would like this feature, this will help images load faster and also save harddrive space, save the time for resizing the image yourself and not having to save multiple copies in various sizes of same image.

thanks.

SofTones
Experienced

14 May 2010, 10:33

There are many photo resize softwares about, the problem comes when you want to give (or sell) someone the high quality full print... means you have to either have the full mega pixel images on the server, and links for the punter to download, or have them stored on your HDD and go through the work necessary to get them sent to the punter... if someone orders a good number of high res images, then you will be tied up for a good time getting them sent ( email or so ??) I personally don't down-size mine.. it saves much hassle later, although it takes a bit longer to upload, and to view, the punter usually understands this and accepts the small wait... but like I say... who am I ???

gadgetologist
Experienced

By another term...

14 May 2010, 15:23

I believe what you are referring to is called "compression" not "resizing".

If I understand, you want to have the file be smaller before it is transferred from the "internet" to the user's computer, stored ismall, and then returned to normal size for displaying for them to view. This is called compression and this is already done.

Your pictures are likely JPEG for example. Just try to compress them further using zip or something else. Unless you are using RAW, TIFF or some such things, the vast majority of files are already compressed.

That doesn't mean, however, they have to be that large. The problem is, without understanding "the intended use", it's one size fits all. Or, sometimes the sites have different resolutions/sizes.

-G

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Image resize

15 May 2010, 03:53

mc wrote:Is there a way to resize the images to a certain size while they are uploaded to imageveux.

1. I am not talking about auto resizing that is done in flash.

2. I am talking about in order to save harddrive space imageveux will automatically resize the image to a set size that I might set while configuring the software . so a 3MB image will become a 200K file during the upload. (because lot of images these days are huge in size and then on slower connections the image will load really really slow)
I would like this feature, this will help images load faster and also save harddrive space, save the time for resizing the image yourself and not having to save multiple copies in various sizes of same image.

thanks.
Currently, we recommend resizing images locally to a web-friendly size both in terms of compression and dimensions (Most serious users will keep a low compression to keep the quality of their images, but at least scale the iamge down to web proportions with 800-1200px length).

The reason why resizing can not currently be handled extensively as you suggest, is because the PHP GD2 extension that handles resizing on servers, normally cannot re-size large images because of memory limits on shared servers (unless you own and run your own server). This also because the standard uploader in imagevue, does not have the power to process your images on client-side and actually re-size them in the process before uploading.

However for the next major release of the Imagevue admin, which we are currently working on, there will be a few new interesting options:
1. Because of technology improvements, a new flash uploader module is available that is capable of resizing images in the same process as they are being uploaded. We have tested it, and it will be integrated with the new imagevue admin. There is only one minor flaw with this: There is some minor "blurring" that occurs on the re-sized image, because the flash client does not have the worlds best resizing algorithm. I think for most people this will be unnoticeable, but I am sure a few photographers will not be 100% satisfied with the results.

2. Also with the next release of the imagevue admin, there will be an option to resize images with a server extension called "Imagemagick". Imagemagick, unlike the limited GD extension, can resize even large uploaded images. This will allow imagevue to create web-sized images from large uploads. Unfortunately, this will only work with servers that have this extension installed. Another backside with this option, is that it does not resize on client-side. Therefore, users will still be uploading LARGE images (upto several MB), wasting time and bandwidth, while the images will be resized down to a much smaller size only once the file is uploaded ...

3. We are considering making a separate client-based upload tool for imagevue, that would also resize images in the same process. This is unrelated to release of the new admin though ...