Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Ferrás
Topic Author

Facebook: "Like Button" and extracting Images from

26 Jun 2010, 13:21

Hi,

I'm a very happy owner of a Imagevue-Gallery (www.momentfotografie.at) but I didn't find a possibility to integrate the Like Button from Facebook (http://developers.facebook.com/docs/ref ... ugins/like) into my gallery. That really starts to become a problem, because it starts to be the most common way to promote and interlink pictures over the web.

Is there a possibility to integrate the button to every picture? Or are you planning on something related to that?

There is another thing according to facebook: thankfully you can link to a specific picture although Imagevue is a flash gallery. But if you share a picture via Facebook, FB can not extract a preview-image from the Meta. That's a problem too.

thanks in advance,
Stefan

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

27 Jun 2010, 18:30

I agree with you and was discussing this with a user the other day. Btw. did you try to add the facebook "like" button from the developer page you mention?
Ferrà¡s wrote:I'm a very happy owner of a Imagevue-Gallery (www.momentfotografie.at) but I didn't find a possibility to integrate the Like Button from Facebook (http://developers.facebook.com/docs/ref ... ugins/like) into my gallery. That really starts to become a problem, because it starts to be the most common way to promote and interlink pictures over the web.
My guess is that you may need to A) Make sure you use WMODE=transparent for the flash so that the HTML layer with the "like" button displays above the SWF instead of being hidden behind. B) Make sure the iframe displays ina correct location. I am not quite sure why facebook need to use an iframe for this function, but ok ... If you want, I may be able to help you with this ...
Ferrà¡s wrote:Is there a possibility to integrate the button to every picture? Or are you planning on something related to that?
Yes, we certainly see the need of embedding buttons for sharing on social media, at least facebook and twitter. We will be adding some integrated "share" buttons in the next release of Imagevue. However, when it comes to the Facebook "LIKE" button, this is slightly different because you are not really referring a LINK to SHARE, but instead referring to a Facebook FAN page or GROUP page ... Not quite sure how this could be integrated, especially since they are using an IFRAME for the code, but I will look into it ...
Ferrà¡s wrote:There is another thing according to facebook: thankfully you can link to a specific picture although Imagevue is a flash gallery. But if you share a picture via Facebook, FB can not extract a preview-image from the Meta. That's a problem too.
Yes you are right, and we were considering this a few weeks ago. First of all, we need to add a default preview image to the gallery document, so that it at least finds a single default image for your gallery. This is simple, and can already be done manually (msg me if you need help with this). The technical challenge, is to get Facebook to load a preview-image from the specific link. Unfortunately, because we use #SWFaddress javascript to refer links to flash, this does not work with facebook which strictly looks into the document source code(HTML) for any preview images. We hope to figure out some workaround for this for next release!

Thanks for reporting!
Last edited by mjau-mjau on 19 Jul 2010, 05:52, edited 2 times in total.

GeoPal
Experienced

28 Jun 2010, 08:52

Facebook Like it button would be great indeed!

omriamos

13 Jul 2010, 14:31

+1 for the facebook like button.

this is basically just a simple iframe, with this source for example:

http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.ph ... heme=light

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

19 Jul 2010, 02:58

Thanks for the tip ...

It's a bit impractical that it exists only as iframe, as this means we can't embed it properly into the SWF, but instead need to position an iframe layer over the SWF in some location. I guess this is how it has to work since the iframe may contain custom content/interaction from the specific users "like" button.

Will look into it!