Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

alexhenes
Experienced
Topic Author

Preview Image for Folders with No Images

29 Jan 2011, 14:24

I have a number of folders that contain sub-folders but no images. I would like to give these folders a pre-view image.

My initial thought was to place a single image in the folder and then hide the image... however there is no hide image feature... just a hide folder.

Any thoughts on how to give a folder with no images a preview image?

Thanks
Alex
Alex
https://www.merelyafleshwound.com
https://www.goldenbikeshop.com

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Preview Image for Folders with No Images

30 Jan 2011, 01:19

May I ask what would be the point of this? Just when visitors are hovering over a menu item that has subfolders?

alexhenes
Experienced
Topic Author

30 Jan 2011, 10:54

well... if I have a high level folder called 'kayaking' and there are 20 folders for specific rivers under it... it might be cool when someone is hovering over the kayaking menu item to see a cool kayaking shot. not a big deal at all... i have just been playing around with the preview image and I like it... just wanted to see how it looked on the top level menu.
Alex

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

30 Jan 2011, 21:43

Well, the thought struck us earlier also, but it is a bit of a technical challenge to maintain. Would you also want to set preview images for parent parent folders? How would we apply them? Just questions we would have to solve ...

An easy option would be to automatically assign previewimage for the first child folder. You would not be able to select what what preview-image to use with this though, but it would just "work". What you think?

alexhenes
Experienced
Topic Author

31 Jan 2011, 00:13

I would want to be able to assign a preview image for any folder.

On my site I have a couple of layers before you get to an image... for example...

Adventure->14ers->then the image bearing folders
Adventure->Skiing->then the image bearing folders

I would want to put my best adventure thumbnail for the adventure folder... then my best 14er and skiing picture for those folders.

My initial thought was to upload a single thumbnail to the directory. No need to automatically determine what to do.
Alex

Martin
Experienced

31 Jan 2011, 16:23

Maybe you're looking for something I have done:
I put some representative images in those galleries... and they can be clicked so one jumps to the sub-gallery...

See my site:
http://www.martinbroeze.nl

martin
Last edited by Martin on 17 Mar 2011, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

MikeR
Experienced

31 Jan 2011, 17:19

Great work Martin, can you tell how to do the same ?

I love the fact that the tumbnails are different for galleries (square thumbnail) and for images (rectangle)

Martin
Experienced

31 Jan 2011, 23:42

MikeR wrote:Great work Martin, can you tell how to do the same ?

I love the fact that the tumbnails are different for galleries (square thumbnail) and for images (rectangle)
Thanx.

In settings/thumbnails/thumnail/click I choose for 'link'
this results in following a link when clicking on a thumbnail, but only when a link has assigned to an image.

In the main-directories/galleries, the ones that at first didn't have images, I put the representative images for the sub-galleries. These images I gave a link (by editing them at 'Image Info').
Like this: #/content/reportages/moeran/

Because of the above mentioned setting, you never open an image when a thumbnail is clicked, but instead you go to a sub-gallery.
The images in a sub-gallery show themselves when clicked on the thumbnail, because they don't have a link.

The main-galleries can now be assigned a preview image by editing 'folder info', these can be seen when hovering over a menu.

It is a bit of work to set up and maintain, but for me its worth it.

martin
Last edited by Martin on 15 May 2011, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

GeoPal
Experienced

24 Mar 2011, 18:27

Really great tip Marti!
It should be made sticky! I've been looking for a long time for similar functionality, but never got it that this can be done this way!!
Now you can have major folder preview with links to galleries, you can have large previews for other links, you can have /manually/ what's new...
Great! :)

Feichti

25 Jun 2011, 09:57

Thanks ;)

Works fine for me :)

Feichti

Vladimir

04 Jul 2011, 14:44

Hi, Martin!

Thank you very much for your reply in the Russian forum!
You wrote "I gave a link (by editing them at 'Image Info')"
I did not understand a bit where the edit "image info" and "folder info".

Martin
Experienced

04 Jul 2011, 23:32

Vladimir wrote:You wrote "I gave a link (by editing them at 'Image Info')"
I did not understand a bit where the edit "image info" and "folder info".
Hi Vladimir,
I added some screenshots to the original post that hopefully will clarify it.

First of all something I forgot to mention in the other topic is that in settings.attributes you will have to enable 'link'.
When this is enabled you will see the link field when you are editing an image.
And this is the next step to do:

In the main-directories/galleries, the ones that at first didn't have images, I put the representative images for the sub-galleries. These images I gave a link (by editing them at 'Image Info').

In settings/thumbnails/thumnail/click I choose for 'link'
this results in following a link when clicking on a thumbnail, but only when a link has assigned to an image.

Because of the above mentioned setting, you never open an image when a thumbnail is clicked, but instead you go to a sub-gallery. The images in a sub-gallery show themselves when clicked on the thumbnail, because they don't have a link.

The main-galleries can now be assigned a preview image by editing 'folder info'.

These can be seen when hovering over a menu.