Search…

X3 Photo Gallery Support Forums

Search…

Tarkio
Topic Author

Newbie Help

18 Aug 2012, 13:28

I'm ready to purchase Imagevue, but would like to confirm that I can handle it with my minimal web skills.

I purchased hosting from Hostgator and I purchased my url last year from Godaddy. My needs are simple, no on-site e-commerce, only the photo galleries, a few text/info pages, and contact page. I don't have an existing website, but I'm happy to use Imagevue as my complete website. Will I be able to install the files from Imagevue into the root directory at Hostgator fairly easily? Do I need any special software to do this?

Thanks so much.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

Re: Newbie Help

20 Aug 2012, 01:08

It is pretty simple, basically you just need to upload the files by FTP to your website. After that, you just create folders and upload images from the imagevue admin, and I believe you should be able to handle it as long as you dont demand lots of changes to the style and layout. Besides, we are here to help ...

Is your URL/Domain from Godaddy already pointing to the hosting package you bought at hostgator? If not, you will need to sort this out first ...

Tarkio
Topic Author

20 Aug 2012, 15:16

One more question. I'm not going to do any e-commerce on my site, but I do want to tell people to contact me if they would like to buy prints. Can I assume that puts me in the "commercial" license category?

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

21 Aug 2012, 01:10

Generally, if the gallery represents a professional business, then we require the commercial license ... I cannot say in your case which category you are in, so this would be your decision.

Tarkio
Topic Author

21 Aug 2012, 10:07

Thanks mjau-mjau. I'm just an amatuer who sells the occasional "art print" but photography isn't my business pursuit. But I don't want to risk being in violation of the license so it sounds like I should purchase the pro license to be safe. BTW, I love your product!

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

22 Aug 2012, 02:05

Tarkio wrote:Thanks mjau-mjau. I'm just an amatuer who sells the occasional "art print" but photography isn't my business pursuit. But I don't want to risk being in violation of the license so it sounds like I should purchase the pro license to be safe. BTW, I love your product!
Why not just get the Private license, and then later on if you are very satisfied with Imagevue and the website, you can upgrade to the Commercial license at intermediate cost? (we have an option for that).

Tarkio
Topic Author

24 Aug 2012, 19:02

Good suggestion, thank you. I have purchased the private license. Now I will test your patience as I'm not at all web savvy.

I downloaded Filezilla and was apparently successful at moving the files from the imagevue folder to the root directory of my home site. I want to use imagevue as my start page and entire site.

I'm hosting on HostGator, and on their control panel/file manager I can see the files and folders that I uploaded. This is as far as I've gotten. I see no way to open the imagevue admin panel in the HostGator file manager. Sorry for my ignorance.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

25 Aug 2012, 03:04

Tarkio wrote:I'm hosting on HostGator, and on their control panel/file manager I can see the files and folders that I uploaded. This is as far as I've gotten. I see no way to open the imagevue admin panel in the HostGator file manager. Sorry for my ignorance.
After you have uploaded the files, you need not do anything more from FTP or from the HostGator file manager. The gallery itself is handled from Imagevues web interface, and the frontend should already be working in its default state with example pictures. What is your domain related to the hosting? Did you upload Imagevue into the web url?

If you gimme FTP details, I can take a quick look.

Optionally, if you want full hands-on help with installation service and guidance, we offer a premium service:
https://www.photo.gallery/purchase/premium/

Tarkio
Topic Author

25 Aug 2012, 10:44

It turns out that the nameservers for my domain had not updated yet. My domain should be active by tomorrow. Hopefully all will be well then.

Thank you for your help so far! :)

Tarkio
Topic Author

28 Aug 2012, 11:49

Imagevue is working for me now. HostGator moved the files to public_html and everything appears to be working. I went to the admin control panel and changed my password. So here's my next stupid question. How do I get to the control panel now that it no longer displays in the top right? Thanks.

Tarkio
Topic Author

28 Aug 2012, 13:09

Imagevue is working for me now. HostGator moved the files to public_html and everything appears to be working. I went to the admin control panel and changed my password. So here's my next stupid question. How do I get to the control panel now that it no longer displays in the top right? Thanks.

mjau-mjau
X3 Wizard

28 Aug 2012, 13:32

If it no longer displays in top right, I assume you have already set a password? If so, you must have already been in the admin, which normally is at the path of your gallery + /iv-admin/
{gallery URL}/iv-admin/
This is explained in step 4 here:
https://www.photo.gallery/documentation/quickstart-guide/

Tarkio
Topic Author

28 Aug 2012, 14:04

Yes, I figured this out, thanks. I told you it was a stupid question. :)